Shrimp Tempura California Hand Roll
Recipe type: Entree, Appetizer, Sushi
Me and my son love making these sushi hand rolls. They really cure a sushi craving! we’ve also made rolls using this same recipe.
- 1 package (8 oz.) imitation crab meat, chopped
- 10 Tempura Shrimp (Frozen – I get mine from Costco)
- 5 sheets of seaweed paper, cut in half
- 1 cup sushi rice, cooked and brought to room temperature
- 1 tbsp. toasted sesame seeds
- ¼ cucumber, peeled and sliced lengthwise
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 tbsp. mayonnaise
- 2 tsp. red chili sauce/Sriracha sauce
- You’ll need a clean and dry work space.
- Lay the seaweed paper horizontally.
- Spread a thin layer of sushi sticky rice on the left half of the seaweed.
- Mix one package of imitation crab, mayo, sriracha, and sesame seeds.
- Spread a thin layer of crab mix on top of the rice.
- Top the crab with tempura shrimp, some cucumber slivers, and avocado slices.
- Tightly roll up the bottom left corner of to the top right edge of the rice and continue to wrap until seaweed is wrapped completely around.
- Serve with a dish of soy sauce & wasabi.
Making Sushi Sticky Rice
- Bring 2 cups of water to a boil in a large pot or use rice cooker.
- Add 1 ½ cups of short-grain rice or 1 cup of medium-grain rice.
- Cover the pot with a lid and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, Combine 4 tablespoons of rice vinegar, 2 tablespoons of sugar, and 1 teaspoon of salt in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Remove the seasoning from the stove. Set it aside and let it cool.
- Pour the seasoning over the warm rice. Mix the rice and the seasoning together. Let rice cool.